The Handle House

Grade II* listed Dating to around 1884, the Handle House was originally part of Studley Mill. It was used for storing and drying teasels, the spiny flowerheads used to raise the nap during the manufacturing of woolen cloth. The perforated brickwork was designed to allow ventilation in the drying rooms. Trowbridge’s Handle House is one of the few examples left in the country and probably the finest. There were previously several other handle houses in the town, but these were demolished or redeveloped during the course of the 20th century.

Contact

Address

Map

Sign up to our newsletter to stay updated with everything happening in and around Trowbridge.
Skip to content