Polebarn House

Grade II* listed built around 1789 by John Clark, a clothier and minister of the Tabernacle Church in Union Street. Its once-extensive grounds (where Trowbridge Police Station now stands) featured scaled down versions of traditional country house amenities, including a small lake, a temple, and a gazebo. It was owned by the Clark family until 1886, when it was bought by Emily and William Mackay, also clothiers. It was purchased in 1920 by Wiltshire County Council. They dismantled or removed several of the remaining amenities, including a belvedere from which John Clark studied astronomy, and the building was used as offices and temporary accommodation until 1978, when it became the Polebarn Hotel. The hotel closed in 2020, but its current owner continues to offer short-let rooms for guests.

Contact

Address

Map

Sign up to our newsletter to stay updated with everything happening in and around Trowbridge.
Skip to content